PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nav exam accuracy
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2016, 12:48
Baikonour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But... but... if you are one whole degree out then, after 60 minutes flying at the average spamcan speed of 90 kts, you will be 1.5 miles away from your waypoint. 1.5 miles at 2,000 feet when you're allowed to fly down to 3,000 m visibility means that you may not be able to see your waypoint and you'll get horribly lost!
And surely you would never have waypoints less than 90 miles apart? Do you want to spend all your time looking at the ground?

When I was young... the exams asked for 0.1 degree accuracy!

Seriously, of course the accuracy of those questions are ridiculous. Never mind staying within +/- a couple of degrees, but even knowing your actual groundspeed within +/- 5% is also not obvious - and that has as big an impact on your actual location as your heading might have.

When I went through my mocks, I also had this on some questions and since it seemed basically to be caused by rounding only, I ignored it. On my actual exam, there were no answers that close together so the issue was not relevant. However, whether that is the case on all exams I don't think anyone can say (unless an examiner who has access to all the current papers can do a quick check).

If you are confident that you can solve the nav questions, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. If that is the only question you get wrong, you will be OK...

B.
(The above may involve irony, for which I do not apologise, and a certain amount of flippancy, for which I do apologise...)