PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mismanagement of automation
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2016, 11:20
Bravo73

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Non-PC Plod
Bravo -

"A quick dab on the FTR" (as you put it), - if the pilot is pushing significantly against the springs at the time (eg overcoming flapback during transition to forward flight ) will potentially result in a sudden nose-down jerk through the controls as they de-clutch. Clearly this could have serious negative consequences.
I agree that there is often a 'jerk' through the controls when the FTR is pressed on the AW139. However, I disagree that this 'could have serious negative consequences'. It is mildly uncomfortable, at most.

If you don't advocate 'flying against the springs', what technique would you suggest for manual flying? a) Continually pressing the FTR (i.e. 'floppy sticking')? Just like in the G-LPAL accident? No thanks. Or b) by continuously trimming the attitude with the 'cooly hat'? Unfortunately, trimming the aircraft like that is too sluggish for many of the more, dynamic manual manoeuvres. Is there another option? If so, I'd love to hear it.

Originally Posted by Geoffersincornwall
What say you of the notion that springs can save you in an 'upset' scenario?
I suspect that is another case of poor terminology in the EHEST report. Will the springs help with an unusual attitude? No. But might they help with the onset of disorientation? Yes, maybe. (i.e. releasing the pressure on the cyclic will return the aircraft to a wings level attitude).