PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANA order A380
Thread: ANA order A380
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2016, 01:00
kiwi grey

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Passenger comfort

Alanthailande is right on the spot!

I too choose my infrequent-flyer trips based on the (perceived by me) comfort of the aircraft, despite the fact that I'm an Air NZ Frequent Flyer Points member.
So:
  • NZ <-> Oz: only three hours but a B737 will need to be 25% cheaper than an A320 before I'll give up the extra inch of seat width. Fortunately that's in Air NZ's favour.
  • NZ <-> Singapore: I'll fly via Auckland and use a Singapore Airlines A380 rather than go via Christchurch - even though Chch is cheaper. Next time, the flight might even be code-shared as an NZxxxx, so more Air Points for me
  • NZ <-> Europe: A toss-up between stops in Auckland and Singapore, or Sydney/Melbourne and Dubai. SG Star Alliance Airpoints may tip the balance. I'd prefer to go via Hong Kong, but I'm worried that all the airlines now fly only the dreadful (and dreaded) 10-abreast B777 or 9-abreast B787
  • NZ <-> North America: It might even be worth 'back-tracking' to Sydney and flying QF A380 to Dallas to avoid the torture of Air NZ's 10-abreast 772 or 9-abreast 789 - bugger the Air Points

It's not just the seat width, by the way, it's also the noise: the A380 is very obviously quieter for the passenger than the B777.