PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation dependency stripped of political correctness.
Old 5th Jan 2016, 19:39
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It has been a fascinating debate/discussion. I feel we can end up in a never ending circle. What we are seeking is a solution to a perceived problem. That seems to be distant and we 'old f*@ts are becoming frustrated that no-one is taking action.

I'd like to widen the discussion to the very people we are discussing, i.e. the enthusiastic newbies, be they cadets or low hour captains. The topic we have been discussing is how these new-tech modern cockpit jockeys cope with the job. How do they feel about it? What do they think about their training? Do they feel sufficiently empowered with knowledge & authority every day?

I remember my first jet command; not first command, but the first 'wide-eyed finally, at last' moment. My first solo sector I had a flap problem at 10 mile finals on my 1st ILS as PF captain. It was completely no big deal. The foundations were solid. It was classic text book QRH/CRM stuff. Later, I had more spurious problems with those less tangible items that required management. Again, no big deal: common sense forged by the apprenticeship served.

So what do the newbies think about their apprenticeship? 148 hrs and a shiny jet? Newbie captains, 3000hrs and it's your responsibility? Are we correct in our nervousness or are we making mountains from molehills due to the spectacular screw ups? For every spectacular headline there are 10,000's of smooth flights.

Thoughts?