PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Dumbing down" RAF Officers?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2016, 18:53
sixg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know a little bit about officers and pilots. Officer training does not necessarily impart sound combat judgement. Many excellent combat pilots were or are unsuitable for senior rank. The 2 requirements are quite different. In initial selection, you need 70% foot soldiers and 30 % potential leaders. Even then, some will surprise and others disappoint, so you need free movement between the two requirements during any military flying career.

The current difficulty is a self-inflicted RAF policy problem, perhaps not helped by constant politically inspired defence reviews.

As a long-serving retired RAF pilot (1963-1988), I never could understand why every aircraft needed a commissioned officer at the controls. In the late 60's it got sillier when it was decreed that all pilots should be university graduates as well, although I believe that rule has been relaxed now.

The number of productive flying years is an important factor governing RAF pilot requirements, shortages and retention. Get 'em young is key. By the time I was 27 (when my commissioned ex-university colleagues were just joining squadrons as young embryo pilots), I was an experienced pilot with 3 flying tours and over 2000 hours on fighters.

The RAF had a good return on its investment.