PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Personal Protective Equipment - wear it!
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2016, 21:10
con-pilot

Aviator Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rwy in Sight
I have a very very small experience flying on single engine four seaters and once I had to fly to an island some 3.5 hours away on a C172. The night before I has hesitant (it meant to be fun) but then I thought it over and realized the engine does not know what it flies over. I did anyway I met another ppruner and I repeated the trip some years later on an A320.

So I guess you are right about the risk being too big but it is not getting bigger in night VFR ... And yes I realize about the consequences of the things going wrong.

Feel free to ignore the comment because I think I gave an answer.
Like I posted, I'm not going to tell people what they should do or not do. Just my opinion after flying for nearly 50 years and accumulating a little over 21,000 hours flying time.

As for the engine not knowing what it is flying over, that really makes no sense. If an engine is going to quit, it will quit. It is up to the pilot to assure that if and when an engine does quit, that the aircraft is in a position where a safe, even off airport, landing can be achieved. This applies to multi-engine aircraft as well.

Aircraft and engines can be replaced, people cannot.

Oh, and in my spare time I was an NTSB Aircraft Accident Investigator (from 1995), now retired. So I have more than a just casual interest in this subject.

Thank you.