PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Lands on Taxiway in SEA..
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2016, 20:38
PPL Hobbyist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was looking at the lovely large picture that HighAndFlighty posted for us. Maybe it is just the angle at which the photo was taken, but it looks to me that the chevrons and markings on 16L are faded and not very visible, where as chevrons and markings are much clearer on 16C and 16R. Landing mostly visually myself (due to the fact that most airports I land at have few or no landing aids, let alone runway markings), I think that maybe I have an idea what these pilots may have been thinking. Of-course, I may also be wrong. I am speaking from my own experience now.

My speculation is this, and I welcome your input on this: Because the markings on16L aren’t so clear as far as I can see on the photo, and the markings on 16C and 16R clear and very easy to see, I think they must have assumed that taxiway Tango was 16C. I don't think that they would have seen the runway numbers before they were practically over them, if they were looking for them. How many of you do when you are positive that the “runway” you are lined up on is the correct one? I would have been looking for visual cues rather than runway numbers.

The report will prove me right or wrong. Lets wait and see.

Last edited by PPL Hobbyist; 4th Jan 2016 at 20:55.