PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - snap rolls and other flick manoeuvres
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2016, 18:47
Dora-9

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
The "civilization" of ex-RAF Chipmunks involved extensive minor modifications, mostly nonsense, and the civilian powers that be just throwing their weight around. Amongst other things, apparently MoD/RAF wiring standards were not adequate for the rigors of civil use. One nonsense was the Ground/Flight switch had to be turned upside down.
Don't forget the myriad of placards, and the revised (lower) speed limitations! Another "gem" was the requirement to move the brake fluid reservoir aft behind the firewall, where it could now drip on the radios! Thankfully they relented on this, although at least one Mk.21 here still retains this feature. I fly both T.10's and Mk.21/22's, and the F/G switches all operate in the same sense (or, I hope I'd have noticed that they're different) - maybe they relented on this idiot idea too?

DCA accepted ex- RAF Chipmunks basically as was, except for the anti-spin strakes
Not sure what you mean here - there are T.10's registered here both with and without the strakes. There is however a deliberate spinning/aerobatic restriction on non-straked aircraft - which will make the report on the VH-UPD accident at Coffs Harbour (when it eventually comes out) very interesting reading.

And, semantics again, they're not "anti spin", never being intended to prevent spinning. They allegedly assist in spin recovery, although quantifying this is a debatable subject. DH refered to them simply as "fuselage strakes".

Hence the deal with DH Support to plug the bureaucratic gap.
But initially at least this didn't plug the T.10 "gap", certainly not in 2000 (see my earlier posting), only providing Mk.21 and Mk.22 AFM's. I'm trying to ascertain who/when provided the T.10 AFM (and when I do I'll comment further).

My apologies for dragging this thread yet further OT.

Cheers.

Last edited by Dora-9; 4th Jan 2016 at 21:00.