PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Part 61 conundrum for Australian ATPL applicants
Old 4th Jan 2016, 08:14
das Uber Soldat

Received 127 Likes on 36 Posts
You're probably not wrong leadsled. But as it relates to this test specifically, I think its going to cause issues for the reasons I listed.

The person sitting in the left seat has a certain role on my type, including calling for checklists and generally running the show. Those are our SOPs. They cannot be 'reversed'. CASA may say for the purposes of the the test I sit in the right but am "PIC".

Ok, but it seems a strange way for me to do the core element of the test, ie demonstrate the ability to run the show, show leadership etc whilst I conduct our SOPs which require me to be instructed on what checklist, normal or non normal I run. The only situation where I'm in the right really operating as PIC is when I was training people. But how does that correlate with the idea of the ATPL flight test, ie to test a candidates ability as a new captain?

Again, I'm all for doing it in the right, makes my life easier, but the whole thing looks a mess to me.