PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - snap rolls and other flick manoeuvres
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2016, 04:40
ForkTailedDrKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was nearly going to mention the Cessna Aerobat, it does magnificent snaps.
Yes it does, but in this case the aircraft's ability to do snaps far exceeded the PIC's ability!

Around the same time I attended an airshow at Coolangatta where I saw a Pitts Special perform for the first time, along with Barry Hempel in the Super Decathalon and an Aerobat. The Pitts was spectacular, the Decathalon was polished, but the Aerobat impressed me the most because I had some understanding of the limitations of the aircraft. Can't remember who the pilot was but he did a number of low passes down the runway followed by a 45o pitch up with a snap roll at about 200 feet AGL. Given my own disasterous experience with snap rolling the Aerobat, I was blown away by that!

Some years later I found myself in an Aerobat with one Warwick Bleakley, who will be known to some of our Kiwi bretheren on here, for a flour bombing competition at the Manawatu Districts Aero Club. After completing my bombing run Warwick asked, "Do you mind if I have a bit of fun now"? My hesitant, "OK" was followed by a series of very precise snap rolls!

Dr