PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gary Powers U2 mission 1960
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2016, 01:33
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Wageslave

No, archimedes, what I said was merely what happened or was believed to have happened at the time. Does anyone really know the whole story? I doubt it vey much. Rather ridiculous, not to mention precious to call that libel.

So I rather wasted my time posting anything above the final sentence, which is the sole basis for your ad hominem disguised as a lofty rebuttal, then?

By the by, posting 'merely what happened or what was believed to have happened at the time' which could be seen to be deleterious to the reputation of someone who is still alive could land you (and the website you do it on) in a some bother (see, as but one instance, McAlpine vs Bercow where Mrs Bercow only alluded to libelous comment about Lord McAlpine, but was deemed to have repeated the libel).

I'd say that repeating suggestions that Powers was both inept and at best less-than-robust in the way he faced interrogation (he was later awarded a Silver Star for his resistance to that interrogation) might be seen as deleterious to his reputation, but as I suggested, since he's dead, the point is moot.

(I might be precious (although I'm guessing a couple of Ppruners who know me mightbe on the verge of death through excessive guffawing), but I do at least try to be polite....)