PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Experience Flights; why two-seaters?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2016, 22:16
Ken Scott

Received 146 Likes on 28 Posts
I quite often flew ATC cadets on the C130, you could fit in quite a few & even though there weren't many windows they would rotate through the flight deck for a good look at the 'action' & you could open the ramp or para doors for an enhanced view although that could limit your activities somewhat. They had a tendency to throw up especially down the back on a warm summer's day but I always thought it was a formative experience whatever. I'd enjoyed similar trips in my youth (without the throwing up).

I did one memorable PD to St Mawgan with a bunch of cadets, after we'd completed the training we flew around the Cornish coast with the doors open & then closed up for the transit home. As we settled into the short cruise their officer said that one of his cadets was doing her PPL & could she have a go? The co obligingly gave up his seat & the young lady after a little instruction hand flew the ac all the way back even descending & joining the hold where the co got back in to land us. I like to think that given the chance she'd have done an equally fine job of landing it too.

She demonstrated real potential & I hope she was inspired to try for a career in aviation. Sadly the paper chase to fly anybody these days seems to be getting longer.