PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fire warnings - an intellectual debate on this contentious subject
Old 3rd Jan 2016, 21:25
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sir K

That's effectively what the second guy did for one of the engines, (the one with the indication of fire) would have been at idle.

To secure the engine completely would take the second captain beyond the line in the drill that asked for confirmation of the engine fire. Once passed it he would have been committed to the possibility of a forced descent in cloud into the mountains because the drill is adamant in it's assertion that the pilot lands immediately, at once.

The second guy stuck at the line that called for confirmation of the engine fire and went no further, waiting for evidence, other than the lights, that there really was an engine fire. His wider experience led him to take a sceptical view of all complex electrical and avionic systems. He wanted some hard proof that if he was going to put everyone on board through the extremely risky descent then it would be justified. The first guy was a slave to the drill and was more concerned about his possible day in court.

RTL - just caught your post. I teach at a factory school and the policy is 'follow the checklist'. As a weary 'old hand' I think a lot more like you do but will have to go on teaching by the book. Yes I hope it does provoke some thoughts, thanks.

G.

Last edited by Geoffersincornwall; 3rd Jan 2016 at 21:33. Reason: Catch up with RTL