PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Experience Flights; why two-seaters?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2016, 20:25
Hawk98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 163627
Do cadets still get the chance to fly at summer camps? During my time in the cadets (1960s) I had the good fortune to get trips in a Hercules, Hastings, Shackleton and Wessex during "camps" at various RAF stations. Much to my annoyance I missed out on a flight in a two seat Hunter when our family holiday in Cornwall prevented me going with my Squadron (94 Feltham Squadron ATC) for a weeks camp at RAF Chivenor. Back in those days we had things organised by the squadron most weekends such as full bore rife practice at RAF Uxbridge and gliding at RAF Halton and many other locations. Then the ATC was a real showcase for the RAF and many from my squadron went on to have long and fulfilling careers within its ranks. I'm sure as an organisation it still does it's best but regrettably probably nothing like as much I had the good fortune to enjoy.
Yes we do, in the past five years as a cadet I've flown in a Sea King (2015) and Chinook (2014) (as well as the Tutor about 6 times in just over a year and gliding, well let's not go there...) Oh and at Valley in 2012 one lucky sod got a go in a Hawk