PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fireworks on display aircraft
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2016, 18:16
Graham Drinkell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We try to keep it as safe as we can
I'm sure you do.

Despite the ad hominem dig which I'll ignore, I'm glad you replied as I have some questions for you, the subject matter expert

What interests me is how this is organisationally covered? The CAA must operate some form of safety management system of which you the display team / pilot falls into. Which would mean someone somewhere has done a proper risk assessment which covers the addition of fireworks?

The probability of an engine failure mid display is probably not much greater than for a transit flight in normal GA ops, i.e., the hazard is the same but the risk is potentially greater when you add low level and dusk conditions. And lit fireworks. So let's say the unusual happens and it goes quiet up front. Despite being a skygod, you collide with something unseen on the ground (or worse) during your deadstick landing and the lit pyro breaks free and sets fire to something / someone.

How are you then covered? Does your insurance specifically cover you? If so, then the pyro installation must be signed off by EASA (£££) or the LAA (£)? And does the aircraft manufacturer approve its product for this usage? Does the firework manufacturer approve its product for this usage?

It's just you...

Do you have a brother called 'Hangershuffle'...?
Thanks for asking but no. I tell you what though, at some point someone somewhere will actually be the devils advocate rather than just playing it.

The recent AAIB Shoreham Hunter update regarding out of date seat carts appears arcane but hints at the investigative depth at play.