PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet A319 lands on closed Runway at Pisa 30/12
Old 3rd Jan 2016, 17:27
Count of Monte Bisto

Received 350 Likes on 114 Posts
Wageslave - for what it is worth, my observations of PPRuNe are that pilots go into attack-dog mode very quickly with other pilots and are almost invariably at the 'it would never happen to me' end of the scale. The case in question here will no doubt be investigated meticulously by easyJet, the AAIB the Italian authorities and anyone who can claim an interest in the issue, however small.

It is also reasonable to say that very few pilots go to work with the intention of making a significant error of judgement. Therefore, when mistakes are made, there will be no one more upset at something going wrong than the individuals involved. Given that we can usually agree that the pilots in any incident wanted to do the right thing, and yet did not do so, it is entirely appropriate to try and understand the procedures and processes in place at the time to ascertain why an event took place that no one every wanted to happen. That means looking at all factors, however innocuous they might appear, to try and understand what led to an error occurring. In most cases somehow a series of errors and coincidences take place which make a particular crew on a particular day at a particular airport do the wrong thing. Leaving no stone unturned to work out why would seem a sensible way forward to me.

Last edited by Count of Monte Bisto; 4th Jan 2016 at 20:08. Reason: Typo