PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet A319 lands on closed Runway at Pisa 30/12
Old 3rd Jan 2016, 15:27
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well said, seen the box...

Quote from Wageslave:
"Talk of holes in the cheese strike me as being a bit by the by in this case. Holes require errors elsewhere and I don't see "errors" in the info given elsewhere."

In which case, why did you continue to expend several hundred words listing them all? There's a hint of old-school elitism in any implication that the pilots' layer of swiss-cheese should be uniquely impervious. If there are holes in several other layers, as your and others' comments imply, customer airlines need to put pressure on the Italian authorities: not simply admit 100% liability on behalf of a crew.

Quote:
"I know full well that pilots are never wrong according to many here, especially after they have made a grave error. That just cannot be true, and a bit more eyes wide open reality/honesty in these matters may not be a bad thing."

Wrong. The default situation with us is that we accept prime responsibility for any error. I think that all the pilots (and ex-pilots, like myself) posting here so far have been simply pointing out the possible extenuating circumstances. Pilots do not need to have traps set for them: being human they are perfectly capable of making their own mistakes - and learning accordingly.