PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet A319 lands on closed Runway at Pisa 30/12
Old 3rd Jan 2016, 15:04
Wageslave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
seen the box, tell me, had they read the NOTAM correctly is it likely they would have landed on the wrong runway, yes or no? The means of obtaining airfield info or quality of RT can have no bearing on that if they hadn't understood the usual runway was closed, can it?

Thank you.

I get the feeling that your insistence on thinking inside the box restricts your judgement in terms rigid acceptance of "years of accepted investigative practice."
If someone lands on the wrong runway having failed to digest the NOTAM how much is accepted invest/// yada yada yada likely to change the verdict?

I know full well that pilots are never wrong according to many here, especially after they have made a grave error. That just cannot be true, and a bit more eyes wide open reality/honesty in these matters may not be a bad thing.

Had the NOTAM been understood (and if seen the box finds it verbose perhaps it behoves him to read it a little more carefully) some of your points might have been relevant, but would then require the crew to accept a clearance in contradiction of their understanding and not question it, surely vanishingly unlikely? Easyjet trains people to be very cautious indeed of anomalies like that - I doubt very much that would have happened. It additionally requires Piza ATC to have instructed them to land on the wrong runway which though feasible is Double Jeopardy and thus usually discounted.

Looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck gets my vote every time.