PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Twisting By The Pool - Fiji Style
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2016, 10:09
Reely340

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
FH100: But here's the problem: If your tailboom is coming *up* (like due to a gust of wind) while your main rotor blades are tilting *down* back there (due to your aggressive over-reaction)...well, could be trouble! Things can get quite dynamic back there.
First of, thx a lot for that infomation, I was hoping full aft cyclic would be basically tail safe.

However, you're saying, that a rotodisk spinning at 100% Nr might be caught by the tail being pushed up (by external forces, further than aft cyclic is able to tilt back the disk).

I can easily see that happen with them semi rigid seesaw two bladed rotors, a gust whacking the tail into the rotordisk. (Robo et.al.)

I can picture a fully articulated rotorhead to be flexible enough (flapping hinge) to leave the rotordisk (inertia!) unaffected when the fuselage bucks its tail.

But can that happen on rigid BO105/BK117/EC135 rotors or bearingless AS350s as well?
I'd have guessed that all ac with mast moment indicators (and limits) won't allow the bladetipspath to deviate significantly from being in an plane perpendicular to the mast, w/o breaking it, of course.

( Then again, maybe I wrongly count bearingless rotorheads as similar to rigid ones. Does an AS350 have mast moment limits?)