PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRAZIL - Airline Pilot Jobs
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2016, 09:55
alemaobaiano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Citizenship-wise we are expecting it to take one year, it takes 15 years for naturalisation of foreigners but reduced to 1 year if you have a Brazilian spouse (or a child) - I am married to a Brazilian. I have two businesses that I own on the side of flying which will, along with my partner support me financially whilst unemployed in Brazil.
Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but it's not quite as simple as you are expecting. I am also a foreigner, living in Brazil, married to a Brazilian, and working in a "protected" industry related to aviation.

The one year countdown starts once your residence permit is published in the Diario Official da Uniao. Getting your RNE will take up to 18 months, although typically around a year. Add that to the required one year of residence before you can request naturalization, so at best, it will be about two years before you can start the process. The process itself doesn't happen overnight, this is Brazil after all, so you are facing a best case scenario of 3 years.

Being an expat I have a number of friends who have been through the naturalization process under the same conditions as you, or with a child born here. The shortest time that I know of is 4 years from the date of setting foot in the country. The average among more than 20 people of various original nationalities that I am acquainted with is around the 7 year mark.

Don't let this put you off chasing your dreams, but be prepared for a much longer slog than you think. With the economy in crisis, political turmoil, increasing crime and violence, inflation through the roof and the airline industry laying off staff you are not coming to Brazil at the best moment.

Good luck, and feel free to ask anything that you want.