PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 19:26
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WIDN62,

I believe sir, you have it absolutely correct. In days of yore, OC BLSS and OC ALSS decided to differentiate between their two organisations by one goin XXXX the other ++++ (I think ALSS was the latter). Arguments were had that it aided our aircrew in identifying at least the line the aircraft belonged to (no credence given as to their ability to read the aircraft number) All went well until a new OC Eng arrived, looked out of his window and complained of the "muddled mess" he could see on His flight line. Both OC Squadrons were summoned, the outcome being decided on the toss of a coin, which OC ALSS won, hence the ++++.

From a tecky point of view, it does go a bit further than that. I was always told that the No1 blade (the one with the yellow spot on it) was mechanically linked (via the Beta feed back shaft) and, if placed in the 6 o clock position, with a leaking shaft seal, could empty your prop hydraulic contents whilst parked overnight. It's also obvious that the ++++ arrangement had the bonus of offering some protection to the intake, and FOD entry. Well, lots to consider there chaps, I'm with MPN11, this thread has given some great insight into Albert in the RAF, thanks to all who have posted some great stuff for the past year, happy new year to all and let's get some more for 2016.

Not quite perfect, but one I put to bed personally.

Smudge