PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet A319 lands on closed Runway at Pisa 30/12
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 18:55
BitMoreRightRudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of holes in the cheese with this one. Having been to PSA recently and seen the current layout I am not surprised. Someone was going to do this at some point. Who the operator was and who was sat at the front is totally irrelevant.

1. 04R resurfaced and far more visually prominent compared to 04L, yet no visual clue as to its closed state (04R having been the single use runway for many years previously).
2. A NPA that doesn't line up with either runway.
3. Notams that are written in Italian and auto-translated, resulting in confusion.
4. PSA ATC. Italian ATC has, in my opinion improved at many places in recent years. VCE and FCO approach are prominent on that list from recent experience. PSA on the other hand has most certainly not improved. I've been asked to maintain 220kts to 8dme on the VOR approach there by a controller who became quite agitated when we refused.

Any pilot who thinks they are beyond making this sort of mistake is playing a dangerously complacent game with their ego. More to the point, these incidents will keep happening as long as EASA and its political chums keep their focus on inventing ridiculous FTL schemes instead of actual safety issues, like harmonising the way European airports conduct and promulgate major infrastructure change.