PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 14:17
Danny42C

What is it ?

BigDotStu,

Let me be the first to welcome you to our Cybercrewroom in the firmament, where good fellowship prevails and no harsh word may be spoken (if you've managed to read it through from Post No.1 - 401, then "War and Peace" or "Das Kapital" should be a doddle).
...The one thing I would like to ask, but suspect there may be no one around who can really answer it...
That's fighting talk !

Without doing any research, I believe the general syllabus of military flying training was laid down for the RFC in WWI by a Colonel Smith-Barry, carried over to the RAF and adopted in its essentials by every air force in the developed world. Marshall's came along much later and would have been obliged to follow it.

Marshall's of Cambridge supplied the pilots for the (RAF's) aircraft that flew for the JATCS at Shawbury in my time; earlier they had taken over both our task and our aircraft when 20 Sqdn was disbanded at Valley in 1951. As its contractors, they have been associated with the RAF for ages.

Now let's hear about your aviating. What was a Husky, for a start ? [Googled: got a lot of pics but no info. Looks like a Piper Cub ].

Danny42C.