PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who knew the RAF were on Omaha Beach on D-Day?!
Old 1st Jan 2016, 21:30
daveking650

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mobile ground control after D-Day

Hello, I am brand new here. I have been searching for a while for any information about MGCI after D-Day. I have found quite a lot on a Canadian unit that covered the beach and went on until September, when they returned to the U.K.
Oddly enough I saw the post saying that the last surviving Canadian member, forget the name, Adhair? very recently died in Langley B.C. I live just a few miles away, but prior to this lived myself in Langley.

The info I have been looking for concerns MGCI units that went on after D-day and followed the army until the end of the war. My dad crossed on Omaha beach. I say my Dad, well it is my Dad and step dad, they were both in the same unit.

My Father was Frederick Owen King, my step dad was Herbert Roderick Williamson. I do not have any other military info on them. My step dad did sign up. I know they were in the area of Belgium, the unit was badly shot up and they returned to the U.K. to re-equip. I remember seeing the RAF jeep parked outside the house, although I was only 3 at the time. Then returned I think into Holland.

So, I'm wondering if anyone could direct me to any links that would lead me to information re the above.

I never knew my father, my parents divorced before the end of the war. My step dad never wanted to discuss the events, only picked up the odd remark that lead to the info above. Oh! I do know also that at some stage he was based at Banff Scotland. He did drive one of those big Thornycroft giant tractors, he admitted that. He broke his nose when he crashed it somewhere in Holland!!

So I would be very grateful for any leads.

Thanks very much!