PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet A319 lands on closed Runway at Pisa 30/12
Old 1st Jan 2016, 19:53
tubby linton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few thoughts-
I know of a variety of pilots who have lined up on and even landed on runways that were dug up or blocked with oil cans , but this runway is fully operational.
The question I would be asking is why has this notam been promulgated? The runway is not being dug up , but the ILS is out of service. Doing this in the winter seems to be poor planning. So what is the reason as it deprives the airport of its one ILS runway?
Most airlines will be happy to depart with a slight tailwind if the wind is north easterly to save the extended taxi-ing. Is Pisa really that busy that an aircraft can not wait for a backtrack? Does the main runwway really need to be used as a taxiway?
It all sounds to me as a sop to a noise complaint, from probably somebody who probably objects to take offs in a south westerly direction.
The Jepp approach charts which replicate the AIP do not mention that the FAT is offset to the runway direction . I would imagine that Lido charts as used by Easy are the same. The Italian Aip should really highlight this plus the fact that the runways are very close to each other.
Would anybody else like to add a few layers of swiss cheese?

Last edited by tubby linton; 2nd Jan 2016 at 00:17.