PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Undue Deference to Senior Officers
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2016, 16:23
Warmtoast

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Another anecdote from the mid 1950's when I was at Biggin Hill. This time the SWO goes over the top - read on.

Queen Mother - Biggin Hill April 1955
As their Honorary Air Commodore, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, visited Nos. 600 and 2600 (City of London) Squadrons at Biggin Hill on Saturday 23rd April 1955. She flew from Smith’s Lawn, Windsor Great Park, to Biggin Hill in a Westland WS-55 "Whirlwind" helicopter of the Fleet Air Arm, making her first helicopter flight. HM was received by AVM H. L. Patch, A.O.C. No. 11 Group. Later she reviewed a parade of both squadrons and watched a formation fly-past of No. 600 Sqn aircraft and a demonstration of Bofors gun-drill by No. 2600 Sqn.

HM arriving

Taken as the Fleet Air Arm Westland WS-55 with the Queen Mother aboard departed from the helicopter pad on the station parade ground on her return to Windsor Great Park.
Her visit was not a particularly nice for one airman in the guard of honour when she pointed out to the SWO (Station Warrant Officer) that the airman's shoes were not as shiny as the others with the result that he was confined to camp of 14-days - this "offence" was the talk of the Station and was not received very kindly and left a somewhat bitter taste.
It was also the occasion I believe when the then Under Secretary of State for Air, George Ward, who was present, was seen to be wearing socks of two different colours, one blue and one brown. When this discrepancy was pointed out, he famously commented: "I have another pair with the same colours in my wardrobe at home”!