PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drones threatening commercial a/c?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2016, 12:56
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last night, at 00.00 there were many people letting off the new fad of Chinese Laterns (mini hot air balloons powered by an internal flame). I was 500m south of the centreline of a major international hub. The wind, a healhty 5-10kts was from the south. I watched as a squadron of these lanterns scrambled on their flight path through the centreline what I'd estimate was not far off the 5-700' of the ILS.
We all accept, in our profession, that Murphy's Law is alive and well and it needs our vigilance & provocativeness to safeguard against its consequences. If it can then someday it will. It's a when not if philosophy, to be delayed as long as possible.
It does not, IMHO, seem a negative attitude to apply this philosophy to drones and their mis-use. There are more ignorant muppets out there than intelligent ones.
Most model aeroplane flyers have a strong code of ethics and common sense. They feel part of our industry and respect it. I'm not sure the drone fraternity shares that same culture.