PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Dumbing down" RAF Officers?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2016, 04:21
Mr C Hinecap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be a real shame to chop the current IOT in any way.

You old buggers who retired before it got serious - you can stop reading now.

I went through IOT in the mid 90's and thought I got a pretty good grounding in all things useful at the time.
In 2012 I was lucky enough to be allowed to 'experiment' on IOT cadets as part of the research for my Masters thesis. This meant 2 x trips to Cranwell and getting to spend a couple of days observing and chatting to cadets before and during a major exercise.

Hands down, they were better than we were. Their performances under exercise conditions (far harder and more realistic than most anything I endured on IOT or later) were fantastic. They were successfully dealing with issues taken from real, recent ops and doing better than some people who had served on those ops. Their breadth of knowledge and effectiveness was startling. I passed these observations to my own Branch Phase 2 training staff, urging them to go and see what I saw with a view to tweaking training to match this higher calibre of new JO.

I thought those cadets were far better prepared for a more operational, diverse and Joint career. Shame on the Two-Winged Master Race if they meddle to meet their own training timelines.