PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice on FTO Flying academy in Prague
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2016, 03:59
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FA is more costly option in Czech Rep. Having said that, they're geared towards cashed up foreigners. I've seen few when sitting ATPL exams in Prague.

The Miami branch is probably just good for the PR. One can fly C150 or similar in Czech for not much more than the actual cheapo rental rate. Florida also has sales tax on rental. If not wanting to fly in the US for the sake of experience/adventure, the current Euro pegged currencies vs strong USD, do not make it worth for knocking off some solo flight time only if not needing FAA ratings. Count in related travel/housing/rental car/airport shuttle and it isn't that superb at the minute. GBP is the better off currency, at least.

I would rather not go into employability, UK airlines, int vs modular, age etc. Plenty to peruse on this website.

BTW, the training out of one of the bigger airports and shooting IFR approaches at (very limited number of) airports, costs a lot, considering the 'navigation/time in CTR/CTA', T&G or landing or approach fees. That adds a lot in Czech on top of the pricing for actual rental/dual. DO CHECK realistic ancillary costs. Still cheaper than UK overall, surely, just get all budget related stuff clear and costed in.

The ATPL exams in Prague now cost 5 times more thanks to amount of foreigners (and locals now, involuntarily) to be milked for 'competitive' exam fees. Licence issue fees are bargain compared to UK, but still doubled or tripled 1.1.2015 onwards.

I'd be more worried about 90%+ ATPL exam passes and 'same ATO for ME IR and CPL' than having integrated on CV, for UK market.