PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet A319 lands on closed Runway at Pisa 30/12
Old 31st Dec 2015, 16:07
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Human Factors

Quote from I-AINC:
"Is this a post against Italy or to discuss an incident happened to easyJet?"

The latter! This is clearly a human-factors incident that, in only slightly different circumstances, could have cost lives. Only one poster on this thread has suggested that Pisa ATC might have cleared the a/c to land on a closed runway and, as DOVES points out (in the longest post so far), we must await the incident report without assuming the facts of this specific case. However, it appears that a flight crew of this well-respected airline made a serious mistake. We are asking: what human factors might have caused the mistake? And any human factors errors discussion should include ATC and the airport authorities. Feel free to add your theories.

Much as I used to enjoy going to Italy during my pilot career, particularly for night-stops, I'm sorry to say that the comments that posters are making about the performance of ATS generally in Italy are fully justified in my experience. Remember, many of us have flown to scores of countries all over the world. One can understand such deficiencies in third-world countries, but Italy is a leading European country with a proud and pioneering aeronautical tradition.