PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornado Replacement
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2015, 15:44
msbbarratt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's difficult to see and justify where GR4 could be improved upon. How many billion would a new build strike aircraft cost? Would it be worth it to bomb high vis white Toyota pickups and a couple of hipster bearded bed sheet attired AK packing Durka Durkas holding hands on Honda 50s???
Ah, a cost/benefit analysis!

I agree, on the face of it at the moment there seems to be no need for anything other than a GR4.

If we were to build a new aircraft, couldn't we do a Super-Tornado (think: Super-Hornet vs the Hornet)? Keeping the air frame shape the same but bigger sounds low risk, it would make room for the EJ200, it could be beefed up where necessary to take the additional thrust, all the existing systems would fit (maybe there'd be room for future additional systems). You'd end up with more wing area, probably not too much extra weight, a load more thrust, more fuel, the same weapons capability + room to grow, and there may even be room for an extra pylon here and there. As far as new builds are concerned it ought to be the cheapest "new" design available to us.

What's not to like?! Or am I talking out of my ?