PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Andy Hill interviewed
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2015, 14:40
Iron Duck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Money

The problem is nothing to do with ejector seats - it's to do with airline pilots turning up at air shows expecting skills that they once had - and practiced regularly (weekly in the season) to still be there. They aren't - and until the CAA stops this blatant abuse of the 'old boys ' network , such events will happen. If you want to fly a Fast Jet as a display pilot - look at the requirements of a serving officer. 10 hours on type in 2 years - I don't think so.
I'm no aviator, merely someone who once wanted to be, and being of a certain age enjoys watching Hunters, Gnats and Sea Vixens fly. I became a musician; we subscribe to the great maxim 'if you don't use it, you lose it.' With regard to staying current to display fast jets, 'using it', whilst not being paid to use it (in the form of display fees, sponsorship, etc.) must be very costly.

It strikes me that the fundamental underlying problem is the cost in both £/hour and remaining aircraft life of flying them. How can that be squared with the requirement for proper practice?

I can see that you might practice to fly a piston warbird by flying something similar with comparable performance, such as an Extra or Sukhoi. But how do you stay current in a vintage fast jet without flying it? I'd imagine the types serving pilots fly now are rather different and not necessarily comparable, and even so, someone still has to pay for that practice.

Opinions?