PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loganair and "weather" delays
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2015, 14:27
Brutha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loganair and "weather" delays

Hi All,

I regularly travel on Loganair - up until about a year ago, they were very reliable.

In the last year, we have had many delays due to mechanical / technical reasons, and they've been quite open about it.

We're still getting the delays, especially in the last few weeks. However, they seem to have cottoned on to the fact that if the delay is down to weather, then they don't have any obligation to pay compensation.

So - we have the situation where we are sitting in (relatively!) pleasant weather at Benbecula, yet someone in Glasgow is being told that their flight is delayed due to "weather at Benbecula".

I'd like to have a way of finding out the truth: my assumption is that I could look at the METAR/TAF, e.g. here: Benbecula METAR/TAF.

If all the visibility looks fine i.e. high clouds, 10 km visibility, no storms etc forecast, then I assume the main thing to check is the wind.

If we have a forecast for example for 28 knots, gusting to 40, from a southerly direction, then the aircraft will be landing on runway 17 (think I got that right!).

The SAAB 340's I understand have a 35 knot crosswind capability. Can I assume that since the crosswind component of 40 knots for runway 17 would be well under 35 knots that winds can't be an issue?

And is there anything else I should check on the METAR/TAF? Are there things that could be considered "weather" that I can't see there?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Cheers

Brutha