PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Undue Deference to Senior Officers
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2015, 05:08
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Hobart Barracks, Detmold...mid 70's and the RAFG gliding world is holding its annual competition allied to various forms of "social excesses " .

The Army had graciously allocated a block for showers etc, but only at specific times of the day....thus two of our community were happily ambling across from tent city one day when, approaching the block, they were socially introduced to a pristine individual proudly wearing.....two shiny pips.

Being the Army, and Detmold being home to various units at the time, one being a cavalry regiment, our hero duly commenced his introduction with the demand the pair stand to attention... and who were they.... whilst commenting as to their somewhat dishevelled appearance.... all in a very cut glarse haccent.

Now, you might have thunk, that, being one of Sandhurst's elite, he would have noticed one was a young SAC and the other, a middle aged gentleman. Sadly, not.

The SAC was duly ranted at, and then he turned his attention to the middle aged gentleman.....at which point, said gentleman, who had remained silent thus far, duly produced his ID card ...with the rank of Lt.Col displayed.

Our hero, it seems, turned a whited shade of pale at this point....and thereafter, during the ensuing conversation, limited in his case to "Yes / No Sah" was reduced to a quivering wreck. The words "effin wee gob****e", were, I understand clearly audible as the pair entered the block once the one way conversation had ceased.

We arrived shortly after this meeting of minds had taken place and were suitably amused as to the outcome.

Said Lt.Col, of Scottish origin, had joined as a boy signaller, spent several years with the Ghurka's, been a member of the "White Helmets", done some "interesting " stuff in N.I,...and had a BEM for Gallantry awarded in Malaya....and, as he put it, managed to avoid the (rude word ) of staff college whilst rising to Lt.Col.

His appearance, described by many with genuine respect for his natural leadership, was "a scruffy little Jock ".... alas, appearances can be deceptive.