PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger at Pimpama
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2015, 20:09
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50 50:I stall an aircraft every single time I fly it purely because if it is not stalled, it won't spin. Guess where the stick is? Same place, every time.
I guess also every time you do this you're stalling at the same speed.

An aircraft can stall at any speed (or attitude). No doubt you can recall your Effects of Controls lesson - controls firm and responsive at high speed and sloppy and less responsive at low speed. It takes more elevator travel therefore stick travel to increase the angle of attack at low speed than it does it high speed. Therefore the stick cannot be in the same place for every stall.

Someone posted earlier about the conditions on the day. If I understood that correctly the aircraft was possible operating in quite turbulent air. Turbulent conditions can very rapidly change the relative air flow over the wing and the aircraft (or worse one wing) can be in a stalled condition without any change in stick position.

To categorically say stick position is always a good indicator of whether or not an aircraft is likely to stall (or is stalled) is being far too general in my opinion.