PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger at Pimpama
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2015, 17:22
HarleyD

Location: Aus, or USA, or UK or EU, or possibly somehwere in Asia.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahem, the thread is getting a bit drifty but 50 50 and UL I think you may mean Va not Vne, as it is very likely you will break something. Modern certification will restrict to a maximum operating speed Vmo that is in fact well below Vne.

A stall is defined as the point where the nose of the aircraft pitches uncontrollably down and cannot be corrected with normal input, elevator on the up stop. This may well happen at Vne as the wings will no longer be on the aircraft in most cases.

Hardly germane in this instance I suspect.

I have operated tigers is strong gusty winds, the biggest issue is lack of energy which can make things a bit tricky. With little forward speed, and a wind shear in the lee of a tree line, all you stall stick position means JS. There are no cards left to play, especially if engine was not happy. You have already stalled, without trying. Not saying that's the case here, just that it's the sort of thing that can catch someone out if the 60 year old engine fails or even partially fails.

Also not calling stall stick position BS either. It's good practice and information that will add to a prudent pilots pool of knowledge, but it's just a piece of the puzzle, not the whole picture. If you are 80 feet in the air with no GS and the IAS goes away you cAn put the stick anywhere you want, it will do nothing until you have accelerated to a speed sufficient to make the elevators become effective, and you may not have altitude sufficient to be able to convert your potential energy to kinetic. You have ( especially if the engine is stopped) little or no ability to lower the nose to attempt to accelerate. Gravity wins. Again.

HD