PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mismanagement of automation
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2015, 08:58
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Geoffersincornwall
I am fascinated by HC's ability to twist the CAA into agreeing that there is no need for a manual raw data ILS. I wonder how widely known that little wrinkle is? Such enlightenment is most uncharacteristic not to say out of step with the rest of EASA-land.

G.
The tick box says "manual" but what does that mean? In FW it would mean autopilot out. Oh but not if its FBW of course! In helicopters does it mean AP out? I don't think so! It means AP in with partial automation. I say that because the attitude and heading hold of ATT mode (ie basic autopilot) is clearly thus. But who's to say it shouldn't be a slightly more enhanced partial automation? You have to fly one bit of it (ie cyclic or collective) manually, the AP does the other bit. You're manually flying, just not all of it!

Anyway that isn't the argument we used - we had an enlightened FOI who also flew the type and could see the point. Part of which is that having to fly an ILS in ATT mode is not a feasible failure. And he soon realised that partial automation could be a can of worms and thus best trained for thoroughly.

Although tacit acceptance was probably as far as it got! With some of the Mesozoic folk at CAA having retired such flexibility is easier.