PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which country for training?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2003, 04:07
jellycopter

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
What's wrong with spending your cash in the UK?

No axe to gind here, but why not do your PPL in the UK?

If you're planning on flying here when qualified, then the experience you gain during your PPL training in the UK will be of greater worth than some of the stuff you'll do in the US. (that's not supposed to disparage anything you'll receive in the US, but a lot of the rules and regs are different). Also, by the time you've paid for flights, food/accomm and retraining to convert to a JAA PPL you're probably not saving that much, if anything.

However, if you're after a life experience in the US (with some fat girls) then thats' a different story!

If you live in Brum, there are some helicopter schools easily commutable; Heliflight at Wolverhampton and Tiger at Shobdon spring immediately to mind (can't comment on the standard of training of either as my training was paid for by the tax payer!).

One recent anecdote, for what it's worth. I flew with an FAA PPL(H) brit who has only flown in the US (125 hours). He's just bought his own machine in the UK and wanted me to convert him onto it. During our flights together, it was apparent, that despite being reasonably experienced (in PPL terms), he hadn't the slightest idea of most of the UK rules and regs or R/T procedures. Furthermore, it transpired that a huge factor in him buying his own machine was that many of the UK flying schools he visitted for self-fly hire were very reluctant to let him fly due to his 'foreign' training.

Hope this helps. J

PS. If you really are after fat girls, then there are loads in the west midlands!