PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mismanagement of automation
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2015, 03:51
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why 'Tick-Box' doesn't work

For months I have been searching for a suitable analogy to explain why the current (tick-Box) approach to License Skill Tests (LSK) and LPC/OPC's is dysfunctional.

Imagine that you are seeking a to qualify as an expert in English Literature. The test (LSK) is to recite verses from various Shakespeare plays as required by your examiner (TRE). The verses are detailed on a test sheet and there are 55 of them in two sections, Comedy & Tragedy, In each section the examiner will select twenty verses and ask you to perform them.

Knowing this you will receive instruction and practice at all 55 verses and chances are that with a bit of hard work the day before the test you can get things together enough to get a pass.

Now to my mind this doesn't even make you an expert in Shakespeare let alone English Literature.

If you can think of a better analogy please let me know for I will use it in place of Shakespeare if it will do the job and explain to those that need to know why we need to change the way we do things.

G