PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737-800 Flight Deck Smoke on TO after deice
Old 30th Dec 2015, 01:47
Majikthise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
737-800 Flight Deck Smoke on TO after deice

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone else had ever experienced this. We were in a fully loaded -800 departing on a snow covered runway that required Flap 25 Bleeds Off. We deiced with Type I and IV with the engines running and the APU off and then restarted it 2 or 3 mins after leaving the deice bay. We left the bleeds on the engines until just before take off (as is specified in our company FOM). We then switched the bleeds to the APU (packs auto, isolation valve closed, eng bleeds off, APU bleed on).

On the take off roll at about 120 kts we suddenly got a strong odour followed by a lot a smoke in the flight deck. We were pretty close to V1 with a slippery runway that spills out onto a highway, so we continued. The smoke dissipated over the next 1-2 mins. The FA's and PAX did not notice anything in the back (which makes sense as the Right Pack was essentially off with the iso valve closed).

I did not love taking off into the pitch black, 1/2 mile and 200ft in -fzra with smoke billowing out of the vents. Has anyone seen this before? Given the location of the APU inlet and that the APU was off for deicing, it seems strange that we would get this much fluid into the APU bleed system.