PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 29th Dec 2015, 23:11
KayPam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about modular training

Hello
I just finished my master's degree and I am now in a transition phase, where I should decide precisely what to do next (euphemism for saying : looking for a job)
I'm still hesitating to try and become a military pilot, but I think my decision is to try and become an airline pilot as soon as possible.

The most likely scenario is that i will get, in the near future, a job as an aerospace engineer for a french airline, or aircraft manufacturer or similar company (missiles or engine manufacturer).
I have now my PPL-SEP and 135 hours.
The other 65 hours required before the CPL could be very well flown within the next year or so (since engineering is a field that pays enough), and thanks to my master's degree in aerospace engineering and my basic knowledge of aviation, I can easily learn the ATPL theory.

Given this experience, I can't apply for some (most?) programmes with CTC or CAE (there is often an 85 hours limit). But even if i could, would it be wise to pay so much money when i have already paid 15k€ for my flight hours ? I calculated that, from my standpoint, I could get my frozen ATPL without paying more than 30k€, whereas I understand a cadet programme could cost thrice as much.

Now, that question of going for a low cost modular formation or going with the pricier CTC/CAE is further complicated by the following.

I would not like to be in debt. I have the ability to pay these 30k€ in 5 years of working in engineering, or less. I think it would be safer to keep an engineering job and get my pilot's training during my holidays or weekends. This forbids me from going to a flight school that's too far away, like in England..

So I'm guessing you can understand my situation with the previous elements.
Is it wiser to take a greater risk (quit my engineering job) to have a better chance of finding a job (with CTC), or is it wiser to keep an engineering job during my training and until I can find a pilot job ?
Is experience as an aerospace engineer a decisive advantage to get a pilot's job ? Could it positively compensate coming out from an unknown french school ?

Is there any objective element that I might have missed ?
Is there another possible scenario ? Like going to a well known cheap english school for modular courses during my holidays ?

Thanks.

Edit : my post has been moved to this topic but it isn't really about integrated vs modular, since it looks like going integrated would not be a wise option. It's more about expensive english modular school vs my local french school nextdoor

Last edited by KayPam; 30th Dec 2015 at 13:18.