PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - refusing access to class D airspace?!?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2003, 03:15
Final 3 Greens

Bex

I see where you are coming from. Let's hope that you are wrong and the outcome is helpful. As others have said, there may be some different ways of handling airspace that would be good for all of us. I would be comfortable operating under US 'class B', also class C for that matter, since I have knocked up a number of hours there and find it works very well. Whether we could support 'flight following', a major safety plus IMHO, is another matter.

Eggs

Final 3 Greens, I think it unfortunate that u seem to think that we ATCOs have a mindset that is against G/A. That is not the case. Please try to see a situation from the other side of a radar screen as well as from another cockpit.
I was feeding back the anecdotal view that many in GA take. Like WCollins, I am satifisfied with the service too, but for different reasons.

I often 'check in' with Essex for a FIS, mainly so they know my intentions, especially when I'm operating under their airspace around North Weald - its a win win and they are always very helpful.

Also, as you can see in the dialogue with Bex, I do respect the views of ATCOs and do appreciate the other side of the radar screen to some degree, although not so well as the inside of a SEP.

Maybe you ought to read the following extracts from your posts on this thread and reflect on the tone your are sending. I believe your other statements that you try to be helpful to GA, but there's also a bit of a mixed message in there too

"At the end of the day my frustration is with those in the GA (and Military!) world who seem to have a lot of opinion but little true appreciation of modern commercial civil aviation."

"Pax pay money for their seat on an aeroplane. They deserve certain levels of safety and protection. Your right to play is, rightly, of lesser importance."

"And the UK is not the only place with problems. Let's not adopt too much of a "grass is greener" mentality."

"whether Final 3 Greens likes it or not our first priority is to IFR a/c"

"If that means, unfortunately, a GA a/c can't have exactly what he/she wants: so be it. It is in the interests of safety."