PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus 310 accident in Congo fully caught on camera...
Old 29th Dec 2015, 17:49
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re use of autobrake, the MAX selection is only used for rejected take-offs in my experience. On the A320, MED (medium) is standard for landing on wet or contaminated runways, and I think the same would apply to the A310. It goes without saying that brakes are useless until the wheels spin up.
You're right, I'm probably thinking of recent FAA guidance on the widebody Boeings that might not be used on Airbus freighters in Africa.

Perhaps in response to a Southwest B-737 overrun at MDW years ago, we've now got tables of minimum autobrake settings for landing on slippery runways. In some situations with a tailwind, short runway and/or braking reported fair, the table can go to MAX at a normal landing weight. I think I've only used MAX outside the sim once, at EWR landing on runway 11 with strong favorable winds but marginal runway conditions.

In my experience, aquaplaning due water depth is not the problem, oil and rubber are the key. If there is a little rain, after a long hot summer, the oily surface can become like an ice-rink.
One place I've sure seen that is BOM. The pavement on runway 09-27 is over 11,000 feet long but the oil and rubber deposits coupled with the rain and heat can make things challenging. And periodically, 09-27 is closed for maintenance and hopefully rubber removal. Then, you get to wave at the folks on Trombay Hill as you shoot the VOR Rwy 32, especially if you line up on the runway centerline a little early.