PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK MFTS Fixed Wing Flying Training : The Future
Old 29th Dec 2015, 16:53
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
On cue, Coff, all I know is that UAS/AEF and VGS is outside of scope of MFTS. I also heard a couple of rumours:

1. 22 Gp is apparently keen to expand the AEFs with some of the excess Tutor aircraft to fill the gaps in the Air Cadet gliding program. The question is, where do the pilots come from? Are they going to relax the rules so that Service EASA PPL holders can fly the EASA Introductory Flight profile? Or something similar?

2. AIr Cmd said that they are looking at having to open up another MFTS Stn due to the increased numbers of aircrew required from SDSR15 - Pilots, WSOs and WSOps are needed for the extra Typhoon Sqns, P-8 and the increased number of RPAS.

3. Whilst we're on RPAS. There is a requirement in the RPAS pliots' course to fly solo. Therefore, a few more Tutors might be needed as this is also probably outwith the original MFTS requirements.

4. Multi-engine pipeline might have to use a commercial flying school to temporarily increase ME pilot throughput in the short-term.

All rumour from the crewroom, various briefs after SDSR and scuttlebutt with mates, so nothing confirmed. I suspect we'll start hearing more in the early New Year along with the Air Cadet gliding announcement.

As for a replacement trainer. How about a Lycoming powered Chippy like the Portugese ones?

LJ