PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK Captain attacked at home in Jumeirah
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2015, 11:56
Aluminium shuffler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They seem fond of the "low crime is not no crime" expression, in my experience. I have never been told, in fairness, that there is no crime here. I think one is at far more risk from the driving here than crime, and at less risk of crime here than in any EU or US town or city, but that doesn't mean you can leave houses or cars unlocked, a wallet or bag unattended and so on.

I have known several colleagues to be mugged in Europe, a few neighbours to be burgled and one, recently and in a very sleepy edge of a town, to be stabbed in a home break in. It is always shocking, and the perpetrators should be dealt with harshly. But it is a global phenomenon that is relatively rare here. I can't dispute anyone's wish to fit CCTV, but it didn't help in this case (the neighbours' cameras that caught the sodomists), and rarely works elsewhere. Door and window locks, and general awareness of what is happening around you (ie being followed or watched) is the best defense.

Like I said, the compound security procedures are pointless as they allow anyone in - we are pestered by tradesmen touting for business, so it is possible that we are also being cased by thieves or worse. The difference is that at home, few live in compounds with guards so don't have a false sense of security.