PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysia Airlines plane starts flying in the wrong direction
Old 28th Dec 2015, 23:20
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A casual friend of mine tells a story on himself that when he was in the US Navy flying the P3's they took off from Wake Island with the next destination being Japan. Right after takeoff he took up a easterly heading, until one of his squadron mates asked where in the hell are you going?
Probably just looking for a place that would cash his perdiem checks in dollars instead of yen.

Along those lines I think a large SE US carrier had a couple on incidents back in the 90's where the crew on the wrong airplane and flew it to some other destination than where the pax had purchased their tickets for. Happened more than once as I recall.
Wasn't the Deltoids if it was the '90's. But, in 1980 they landed at MacDill Air Force Base instead of Tampa and Fort Lauderdale instead of Miami. And in 1987 they landed in Frankfort instead of Lexington, Kentucky.

A subsequent influx of Pan Am pilots in the early '90's raised the standards of navigation skills tremendously.