PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - refusing access to class D airspace?!?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2003, 02:02
Eggs Petition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FFF:
Yes, I think that at some ATCUs the ATCO workload could be eased by a moderate increase in airspace. This I believe could release capacity to cope with freecalls, airspace transits etc. Albeit clumsily, that is a point that I was trying to make.

As I and other ATCOs have said, we try to be helpful and accommodate all requests for service but whether Final 3 Greens likes it or not our first priority is to IFR a/c, in respect of their separation and sequencing. That is a clear legal obligation and we and our employers have a duty of care and are responsible should an error be made. The easier it is for us to work these a/c, the more spare capacity we have for other things.

I think it is a shame that some GA pilots view CAS as off limits or with trepidation, suspicion, concern etc. I would support and encourage all measures to change this.

WCollins may have a point with Voice, R/T. If we are busy then a crisp confidently delivered request may be easier to deal with than one that is more hesitant and unsure sounding. However I say again, we do try to help everyone.

Bear in mind what u hear on the R/T is only part of the picture. U r not hearing the telephone/intercom coordination and requests that the ATCO is dealing with. Likewise u do not know what equipment limitations he/she is struggling with. If an ATCO sounds curt then it could just be that they are working hard or dealing with a problem. They don’t mean to be rude and probably would like to be more helpful.

Final 3 Greens, I think it unfortunate that u seem to think that we ATCOs have a mindset that is against G/A. That is not the case. Please try to see a situation from the other side of a radar screen as well as from another cockpit.