PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mismanagement of automation
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2015, 22:15
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Crab - so your line is "we (in civvy street) can't have a similar amount of training as the mil do, so might as well gives up and go home". Seems rather defeatist to me. In my (old) company at least, we did significantly increase recurrent and conversion training time in response to the new technology. But also that new time tended to get filled with knee-jerk extra items following crashery (eg simultaneous double engine failure in the cruise) that were put in for, predominantly, political reasons.

We may not be able to increase training time to match the mil, but there is a huge amount of scope to make better use of what time we do have. We need to dump extra stable-door-closing political rubbish, we need to dump historically important but no longer relevant stuff. In fact we need to look at the task, the failure modes (human and technical) and the reasons why we still crash, and devise training plans accordingly. Oops, I do believe I am sounding like Geoffers! Well, nothing wrong with that!

Anyway, it's a shame you want to be defeatist rather than being part of that debate.