PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2015, 12:03
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Radix
If someone thinks it's the same as a FADEC, he/she really needs to read up on modern computing/networking...!?
Hacker control of a FADEC is just as dangerous as hacker control of any other part of an aircraft.....

I am, I freely admit, not particularly computer savvy, so I went and asked my brother who just happens to be a reasonably well known in the industry white hat hacker or "pentester" as the article put it.

What he said was "You can set up connections that an attacker cannot piggy back on, yes - data-only information pathways - however if the system is set up like that, an attacker could still........."

I won't tell you what he thought they might be able to do in case it gives anybody ideas, but essentially, the idea that a hacker could make the aircraft fall out of the sky is bogus with an even moderately well set up system, however they could possibly cause havoc with the logistical system on the ground if they got entry.

The thrust of the overly dramatic article suggesting that F35 is going to be falling out of the sky due to hackers targeting ALIS is, as I stated earlier, b@llocks.

He finished by saying "But one of the core ways to check that you have implemented it correctly is to use penetrating testing :-)"

But then he would say that, wouldn't he.