PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIN ATC
Thread: SIN ATC
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2015, 04:16
Chuck Canuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most of us pilots from the west come to east with some jaundiced eyes every time so local carriers get to be vectored ahead without knowing the full picture. With the increase in low cost carriers, non RVSM/RNP compliant aircrafts in the mix as well as other restrictions from adjoining FIRs/TMAs and sensitive military training areas, SIN ATC faces a lot challenges in juggling the arrivals, departures, crossing traffic, etc.

A lot of complaints come from pilots with " big boy, big bully mentality ". There will certainly be occasions when a local carrier gets some kind of priority due to seemingly unfair reasons.howeverit could be the local pilot could have put in an earlier request on other enroute or initial approach frequencies, well ahead of others without the others being any wiser. So it is almost always presumptions and perceptions of favouritism.

Coming in from the north or north east into WSSS, there are many crossing traffic out of Malaysia and Thailand as well as military training areas restricting descent. The tropical thunderstorms do not help either.

Since the Singaporeans have made great strides in the economy, financial management, human resources and the very success of SQ, there are always people of " lesser mentality " ever willing to take them a peg or two, so the constant green eyed generated gripes and complaints. True, I have met equally arrogant big headed Singaporeans because of their success, but I understand the plight of SIN ATC as I familiarise myself with the airways, TMA and adjoining ATC centres of the region whenever I fly there!

Likewise because of the unique air traffic, air route structure, noise mitigation procedures and the crazy military traffic at Yokota, we also have to deal with crazy vectorings, runway changes and holdings when flying into Haneda. If you want to gripe about favouritism, you will have to complain about Japanese ATC who invariably always get a non Japanese plane to climb or descend momentarily to facilitate a Japanese crossing traffic. Western pilots have learnt not to gripe about this because the Japanese at this stage, pose no " rising threat of superiority " to our hallowed ways!